Thursday, December 1, 2011

Lesson 8

The article I found pertaining to my topic was Shades of Schiavo? Euthanasia case involving little girl weighs on Mitt Romney by Marc Caputo the article is about a state agency under the former governor of Massachusetts was attempting to take a 11 year old girl off of life support. The young girl suffered multiple brain injuries she was brutally beaten by her legal guardian’s aunt and stepfather. The department of social services got the agreement with a court to take the girl off life support. A short time after social services and Romney’s court case the girl came out of her coma. Her hospital said the girl is able to breathe on her own but she has a lot recovery to go. The aunt and stepfather originally wanted the girl off of life support, the father and brother refused. http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/14/2502358/shades-of-schiavo-euthanasia-case.html#ixzz1dlpoKiJP

"Two Ways a Woman Can Get Hurt"; Advertising and Violence" on pp. 417-441 of Rereading America By Jean Kilbourne
The visual ads on pages 417-439 shows that the media tends to use sexual ads to promote to the public, the advisements plays on people’s sexual desires but in a way that everyone perceives the message of the ad differently. Most of the advertisements I found them disturbing and inappropriate. I know ads are promoting products but some of them were just ridiculous what made me wonder was what was made the company think people would have interest in products that promote violence and exploitation of children. All the ads seem to categories women, men, and children and how they are weighted in society when it comes to violence. Ads also have children appearing as objects and hints of violence put into ads. The ad on page 125 appears to be set in a downtown area, the ad is supposedly a jean ad for women, it shows a guy he looks like a policeman he is hosting a women in the air by the belt loop of her jeans The women’s hair is covering her face so I could not view her face expression. There are two other guys both wearing t-shirt and jeans one on each side of the policeman they look as though they want to engage. The ad looked more like rape the women appears scared and shocked and wants to get away the ad provokes violence than attention to jeans.

Comments on other blogs
I commented on Jen's blog jen-morgan.blogspot.com regarding to her lesson 7 assignment her essay was about teen sex and pregnancy I though it was a good topic that is always a issue its sad how some parents want to be cool and are more willing to by teens alcohol instead of condoms.I also commented on csbyrd.blogspot.com regarding to her lesson 5 assignment she seemed unsure of how to grade herself with rubrics, I told her to grade herself with honesty so the professor can really help and pinpoint big problems.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you made comments on two blogs.

    ReplyDelete